Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Taken from our friend Jen's cooking blog:

This is good soup. I had been looking for a LONG time for a restaurant quality tortilla soup. I would like to lie to you and say I was searching for something authentic, but I dont think it is authentic, I was looking for something that resembled the Boston Market, or Bennigans. It probably depends on what your expectations are, the versions I had come across were just missing "something". I tinkered, and this is what I came up with....


Ingredients

  • 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken ( I used the leftovers of a rotissere)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 15 oz can of tomatoe sauce
  • 1/4 cup of salsa
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2(14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 2 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 2 tsp olive oil
I dumped everything but the cilantro and corn into the crockpot for four hours. I added those during the last hour. To serve, throw in some crushed tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese or avacado.

No comments:

Post a Comment